MIKE HEDGES AM ASKS MINSTER FOR STATEMENT ON ELECTRICAL SAFETY IN THE HOME

MIKE HEDGES AM ASKS MINSTER FOR STATEMENT ON ELECTRICAL SAFETY IN THE HOME.

Mike Hedges AM said….. ‘I have an interest in Electric Safety in the home and have sponsored several events at the Assembly to highlight this issue. I found the number of fires caused by issues with Electricity quite worrying, hence my question. I look forward to the findings of the research being released and working with the minister, Mid and West Fire Service and other partners to implement the recommendations.

This is a serious matter and I would urge all members of the public to have regular checks of their appliances and to not use them if there is any fraying of the flex or exposed wires.’

Copy To Clipboard Share To Facebook Share To Twitter Share To LinkedIn
Video
Mike Hedges AM – I would like to ask for two statements—the first statement on Welsh Government action to improve electrical safety, following electrical fires in Mid and West Wales in the last two years. There have been 121 due to faulty equipment or appliances, 119 due to faulty electric supply, 15 from faulty leads and 52 from overheating. Those are serious problems. I’d like to have a Welsh Government statement on that.

Julie James – Absolutely. Thank you for both of those important issues. On electrical fire safety, as I’m sure we all remember, Carl Sargeant said to the Assembly last year that we had real concerns about the growth in domestic fires originating in the electrical supply, and he commissioned in-depth research into the problem, which is now complete. It examines the extent and possible cause of the trend in detail and recommends further action by the fire service and others. The Cabinet Secretary for Local Government and Public Services is about to publish that research, and then we’ll be able to react appropriately to the research and put the appropriate measures in place. I know the Member has had a long-standing concern about such matters.