- Posted by: Mike Hedges MS
- Category: Press Releases
Welsh Labour’s Communities and Children Secretary Carl Sargeant has announced a new programme to deliver innovative models of housing to help increase the number of homes built in Wales.
Mike Hedges said… ‘this is good news for people who are on housing waiting lists, good news for building firms and for the Welsh Economy. I am pleased that Swansea Council are already building new Council Houses to passive house standards, greatly improving energy efficiency and reducing fuel bills for tenants. This grant will enable other authorities to follow Swansea’s example’
The programme, which will initially be funded by £20m over the next two years, will contribute to the 20,000 affordable homes target the Welsh Government aims to provide over this term of government. The innovative homes, which will help to significantly reduce or eliminate fuel bills, will inform the Welsh Government about the type of homes it should support in the future.
To qualify for support under the programme, homes must:
• be deliverable quickly
• be affordable and meet housing need
• create jobs and training opportunities, supporting Welsh businesses wherever possible
• significantly reduce or erase fuel bills and carbon emissions
• be healthy and comfortable to live in, reflecting the needs of the occupant
• be certified for quality.