- Posted by: Mike Hedges MS
- Category: Press Releases
MIKE HEDGES AM WELCOMES FIRST ANNIVERSARY OF THE LAUNCH OF THE ONE MILLION FRIENDS BY 2020 CAMPAIGN.
Speaking at the Assembly, Swansea East AM Mike Hedges AM said… ‘through my work as Chair of the Cross Party Group on older people and Ageing I have been involved in campaigning against Scams for many years as I have seen first-hand the devastating impact being a victim of scamming can have on everyone but particularly elderly and vulnerable people. I was involved in organising a National Forum on Scamming which was held in my constituency last autumn; this brought together a variety of agencies to discuss the current situation in wales and to formulate responses to these challenges.
I am pleased to support the ‘One Million Friends’ campaign against scamming and will be asking my fellow assembly members to join me in combating scams through supporting this campaign. I wish the campaign good luck in its efforts to combat scams.’
If you are aware of a scam – please report it –
Report it to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040 or for advice on scams, contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 03454 040506. #ScamAware
The main objective for the Friends against Scams Campaign is to encourage more people to become a ‘Friend Against Scams’ and take a stand against scams. The team have set a target of reaching One Million Friends by 2020.
Key Facts –
– Scams affect the lives of millions of people across the UK and can cause significant harm to victims, who often experience loneliness, shame and social isolation
– The ambitious target is the next major milestone for the Friends Against Scams campaign run by the National Trading Standards Scams Team, which has already trained more than 160,000 neighbours, communities and organisations to take a stand against scams
– Everyone can have a role to play in helping prevent scams and Friends Against Scams provides free and accessible online training to help protect your loved ones, neighbours and colleagues – visit www.friendsagainstscams.org.uk for more information
– Partners across the consumer protection landscape are committed to preventing scams, which includes protecting victims through education, empowering neighbours and communities to help identify and report suspected scams