- Posted by: Mike Hedges MS
- Category: Latest News
The figures put Wales firmly on track to reach its 2012-2013 statutory target of 52 per cent. Recycling in Wales has increased significantly in recent years and, thanks to the leadership of the Welsh Labour Government we have seen a series of waste milestones including:
• Wales is the only country in the UK to introduce statutory recycling targets for municipal waste;
• Wales is the only country in the UK in which all local authorities operate a separate food or food and green waste collection;
• Wales is the first country in the UK to introduce the Landfill Allowances Scheme;
• Wales is the first country in the UK to introduce charges for single-use carrier bags.
The progress outlined in these latest figures shows that the Welsh Government continues to build on its recycling success towards meeting its challenging targets of 70% recycling by 2025 and zero waste by 2050.